Key facts about Warsaw, Poland, worth learning before you visit the city.
- Warsaw is the capital and largest city of Poland.
- The city has a population of approximately 1.7 million people.
- Warsaw was founded in the 10th century.
- It was heavily damaged during World War II and rebuilt after the war.
- The Old Town of Warsaw is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- The city is known for its historic architecture, including the Royal Castle, St. Anne’s Church, and the Sigismund’s Column.
- Warsaw is home to several universities, including the University of Warsaw and the Warsaw Polytechnic.
- The city is a major center of culture and the arts, with numerous museums, galleries, and theaters.
- The Warsaw Uprising of 1944 was a failed rebellion by the Polish resistance against Nazi occupation.
- The city is also known for its parks and green spaces, including the Lazienki Park and the Krasinski Garden.
- The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising was an armed resistance by Jewish residents of the Warsaw Ghetto against the German forces in 1943.
- The city is a major transportation hub, with an international airport and several train and bus stations.
- The Palace of Culture and Science, built in 1955, is the tallest building in Poland and one of the most recognizable landmarks in Warsaw.
- The National Museum in Warsaw is one of the largest and most important museums in Poland.
- The Warsaw Stock Exchange is one of the oldest in the world and one of the largest in Central and Eastern Europe.
- The city has a vibrant nightlife, with many bars, clubs, and restaurants.
- The Frederic Chopin Museum in Warsaw is dedicated to the life and work of the famous Polish composer.
- Warsaw was ranked as the 32nd most liveable city in the world by the EIU in 2020.
- The city is a major center of business and finance in Poland and the region.
- The Warsaw Uprising Museum is dedicated to the history of the 1944 uprising and the history of Warsaw during World War II.
See more information on the visitor guide of Warsaw.
Warsaw airport serves 100+ regular flights from various cities across the world. You can check the prices of air tickets to Warsaw using a cheap flight calendar and airfares comparison system.