Travel News

Lufthansa introduces offsetting built-in airfares

Lufthansa has resumed its flights between Munich, Germany and Mexico City, Mexico.Lufthansa plane. Photo by Andrew Pons

Lufthansa (LHAG.DE) has announced that it will commence offering “Green Fares” this week, which include the offsetting of flight-related carbon emissions.

These fares are applicable for travel to destinations in Europe and North Africa and are the first of their kind to provide complete carbon-offsetting, according to Lufthansa Executive Board member, Harry Hohmeister.

According to the airline, they offset 20% of the climate burden by utilizing sustainable aviation fuel (SAF), while the remaining 80% is covered through the financing of climate protection projects.

The option, which will initially be offered on more than 730,000 flights per year for all airlines in the Lufthansa Group, makes Lufthansa the first airline to offer such a fare as a complete package, in addition to tickets without offsetting, Hohmeister said.

Hohmeister said it was impossible to say in general how much more expensive the tickets would be, but that they would be “noticeably” more.

Euro Directions
the authorEuro Directions
Columnist and content editor
The staff of columnists and content editors of European travel magazine.