Euro Directions provides combined guides for travelers planning a trip to European destinations. This article offers an overview of tips and shortlists for planning a trip to Zurich, Switzerland.
Zurich is the largest city in Switzerland and the capital of the canton of Zurich. It is located in north-central Switzerland at the northwestern tip of Lake Zurich. With a population of over 400,000 people, Zurich is the largest city in Switzerland and the economic center of the country. It is home to a number of international organizations, including the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, one of the top universities in the world.
The city is known for its picturesque setting, with the Swiss Alps visible in the background and the Limmat river running through the city center. Zurich has a rich cultural history and is home to a variety of museums, art galleries, and theaters. It is also a popular destination for tourists due to its vibrant nightlife and diverse dining scene.
10 facts about Zurich
- Zurich is the largest city in Switzerland, with a population of over 400,000 people.
- It is located in north-central Switzerland at the northwestern tip of Lake Zurich.
- Zurich is the economic center of Switzerland, home to numerous international organizations and businesses.
- The Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, one of the top universities in the world, is located in Zurich.
- The city has a rich cultural history and is home to a variety of museums, art galleries, and theaters.
- The Limmat river runs through the city center, and the Swiss Alps are visible in the background.
- Zurich is known for its vibrant nightlife and diverse dining scene.
- It is a popular destination for tourists due to its picturesque setting and numerous outdoor recreational activities.
- The official language of Zurich is German, but many residents also speak English and other languages.
- The currency used in Zurich is the Swiss franc.
Best season for visiting Zurich
Zurich, the capital city of Switzerland, can be visited at any time of the year as it has a moderate climate. However, the most popular time to visit is during the summer months of June to August when the weather is warm and sunny, and there are many outdoor festivals and events taking place.
If you prefer cooler temperatures, the spring and fall months of April to May and September to October can be good time to visit. The winter months of November to March can also be a great time to visit if you enjoy skiing or other winter sports, as the Swiss Alps are not too far from the city.
TOP 10 must-see sights in Zurich
Here are 10 must-see sights in Zurich, along with brief information:
- Old Town (Altstadt): This historic neighborhood is home to narrow streets, colorful houses, and many of the city’s most important landmarks.
- Lake Zurich: This large lake is a popular spot for swimming, boating, and other water sports, and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- Grossmünster: This iconic church, with its twin towers, is one of the most famous landmarks in the city.
- Fraumünster: This beautiful church is known for its stained-glass windows, which were designed by artist Marc Chagall.
- Swiss National Museum: This museum offers a comprehensive overview of Swiss history and culture, with exhibits on topics ranging from art and archaeology to folklore and military history.
- Bahnhofstrasse: This upscale shopping street is home to a wide variety of high-end retailers and designer boutiques.
- Kunsthaus Zurich: This art museum houses a large collection of modern and contemporary art, including works by artists such as Pablo Picasso and Paul Klee.
- Uetliberg: This mountain, located just outside of the city, offers panoramic views of Zurich and the surrounding area.
- Zoo Zurich: This popular zoo is home to over 4,000 animals, including lions, gorillas, and elephants.
- Lindenhof: This park, located in the heart of the city, is a popular spot for picnics and offers great views of the Old Town.
What to eat in Zurich
Here are 10 local dishes to try while traveling in Zurich:
- Fondue: This classic Swiss dish consists of melted cheese served in a communal pot, which diners dip pieces of bread into.
- Raclette: Similar to fondue, raclette involves melting a wheel of cheese and scraping the melted part onto plates with potatoes and other accompaniments.
- Rösti: This traditional Swiss dish consists of grated potatoes that are fried until crispy and golden brown.
- Zürcher Geschnetzeltes: Thin slices of veal are served in a creamy mushroom sauce and served with rösti.
- Zürcher Eintopf: This hearty stew is made with a variety of vegetables and either beef or pork.
- Zürcher Chriesipastete: This savory tart is made with a crust filled with creamed onions, bacon, and potatoes.
- Zürcher Leckerli: These small, chewy gingerbread cookies are a popular treat in Zurich.
- Zürcher Flösserplatte: This hearty plate consists of various meats, such as sausage, ham, and beef, served with rösti and pickles.
- Zürcher Geschnetzeltes mit Rösti: Similar to the traditional version, this dish is made with veal and served with rösti instead of noodles.
- Zürcher Rindfleisch: This slow-cooked beef dish is served with a variety of vegetables and a rich, flavorful sauce.
5 Restaurants you should try in Zurich
Here are 5 restaurants you may visit in Zurich:
This fine dining restaurant is known for its traditional Swiss dishes, such as fondue and raclette, as well as its extensive wine list. See on the map
This vegetarian restaurant is the oldest in the world and offers a wide variety of dishes made with fresh, local ingredients. See on the map
This chic restaurant serves modern French cuisine and has a cozy, intimate atmosphere. See on the map
Located in a historic market hall, this food court offers a wide variety of cuisines, including Swiss, Italian, and Asian. See on the map
This popular restaurant serves Swiss and Mediterranean-inspired cuisine and has a charming, al fresco dining area. See on the map
Flights to Zurich
10 flights to Zurich from closest to your locations
Hotels in Zurich
A list of 10 hotels in Zurich sorted by popularity, price and closest to city center
Enjoyed the Vilnius trip planner? Share with your friends and become a part of Euro Directions, send your stories about your trip experiences, shortlists for travelers, and photo stories.
Subscribe now and get fresh updates from Euro Directions
We send only useful content and fresh deals only once a week, so you won’t be overwhelmed with too many emails. We value your time and want to make sure you are getting the most out of our newsletters.
Notice: The shortlist of Prague’s popular hotels is combined with randomly selected hotels based on popularity and rating in different online booking systems. The selection doesn’t represent our official opinion and we don’t guarantee any quality for travelers which may choose to book rooms in one of these hotels. Photos, ratings, and prices of the hotels are provided by online booking systems that are connected with hotel aggregator systems. Euro Directions trip planner platform is connected to hotellook hotel search system and provides the same services as the main search engine. We by ourselves are not providing online booking services and do not represent any hotel! See our terms for more information.
Referral information: The information contains affiliate links, which means in case if users click to hotel links and make a booking, our website earns a commission.